The History of Our City
This document was provided by a resident.
Historical Sketch of the Borough of Suga[...]
Adobe Acrobat document [281.8 KB]
Originally part of Hanover Township, Sugar Notch was incorporated into a borough on April 3, 1867.
Sugar Notch was named for the Sugar Maple Trees growing in the nearby mountain gap. In 1869, the Lehigh and Susquehanna railroads were built to carry passengers, freight and coal to distant markets. The #9 & #10 mines closed around 1950.
The main attraction is the Roosevelt Memorial, dedicated in 1946. Attending were Mrs. Franklin Roosevelt and Congressman Dan Flood.
Please send pictures of interest so we may list them in our gallery.